Caring for our TREASURE
You must each decide in your heart how much to give. And don’t give reluctantly or in response to
pressure. “For God loves a person who gives cheerfully” (2 Corinthians 9:7)
In focusing on Caring for our Church, we turn our attention to our finances. Our finances include responsibilities for:
- Paying our Fair Share to the diocese. (Fair Share provides essential diocesan services and employees to carry them out.)
- Paying our clergy and employees.
- Tending to the needs and upkeep of our properties, and being good neighbours in the community.
- Having the ability to reach out into the community using our financial and human resources as needed.
- Allocating a budgeted amount to support educational needs of the congregation.
What can we do now?
- Develop a communication plan so all parishioners are aware of our stewardship goals as well as anticipated future needs.
- Continue to include stewardship notices and bulletins in our weekly announcements – introduce “Missional Moments” … short vignettes of Immanuel Parish working in the community, providing leadership in missional projects, etc.
- Provide periodic updates to all parishioners on various ways to support the mission and ministry of the church i.e. Pre-Authorized Giving, the Canada Helps Program, Envelope giving, E-transfers, and on the Immanuel website using the ‘Donate Now’ button.
- Partner with committees dedicated to mission, outreach, and fellowship for their ideas on how giving benefits our community. Tell our stories.
- Continue to consult with the diocesan Stewardship resource person for ideas of how to keep stewardship, in all its forms as a priority for the parish.
- Continue to post articles and announcements on our website.
- Report monthly to vestry and other interested persons our financial status.
What can we do in the future?
- Sponsor virtual and in-person seminars and town hall meetings and provide clear explanations of Will Power and Legacy Giving. Will Power is a program aimed at increasing our donations through bequests in wills and beneficiary designations for new or existing life insurance policies. Legacy Giving includes the advantages of Will Power PLUS things like: learning about the preferential tax treatment of donations of qualified stocks, mutual funds, etc.; “Donating to a Cause”; Major, transformational gifts; and other impactful ways of donating…
- Post the Will Power video on our website for members.
- Continue the congregational dialogue on the 5 T’s of stewardship-Time, Treasure, Talent, Testimony, and Tending to God’s creation.
- Encourage clergy and volunteers to talk on one of the five T’s of stewardship at least once each church season.